We are proud to announce that our maternal, infant, and early childhood home visiting program Nevada Families First recently received a congratulations from the Parents as Teachers National Center for meeting the 17 Essential Requirements of their model and earning status as an official Parents as Teachers affiliate!
Nevada Families First is a high quality, evidence-based home visiting program serving pregnant mothers and families with children from newborn up to 5 years of age. Families receive parenting support, education, and opportunities to make connections with other families. Our program is primarily funded through federal MIECHV funds (Maternal, Infant, and Early Childhood Home Visiting), and uses the Parents as Teachers Evidence-Based Model.
Home visiting programs such as those authorized under MIECHV have strong bipartisan support from all levels of government, as they have been shown to improve outcomes in especially at-risk families. Topics and issues that home educators work on with families include feeding, child development, language and literacy, parenting, sleep, play, and many more.
According to Parents as Teachers, research shows that home visiting makes a difference for families: ¹
- Children’s developmental delays and health problems are detected early
- Children enter kindergarten ready to learn and the achievement gap is narrowed
- Children achieve school success into the elementary grades
- Parents improve their parenting knowledge and skills
- Parents are more involved in their children’s schooling
- Families are more likely to promote children’s language and literacy
Congratulations to our home visiting team on receiving recognition for all of their hard work serving their client families!
Interested in home visiting services, or know someone who might be? Contact the Nevada Families First program at 775-847-9311 ext. 204